The Parents’ Alliance is committed to the River Valley Charter School by:
- Serving the teachers and children through classroom assistance, and
- Strengthening the school community through school-wide activities.
The Parents’ Alliance is integral to the child-teacher-parent triangle of learning. All parents of children enrolled at River Valley are members. As parent involvement is known to have a direct correlation to student engagement, every family is encouraged to contribute time to benefit the school. There are a number of ways to volunteer including the following:
Service through Classroom Assistance
Each classroom has one volunteer PAL (Parents’ Alliance Liaison) to communicate with the teacher and help organize classroom volunteers. Typical volunteer activities include:
- Chaperoning/driving for field trips;
- Sharing professional expertise and experience;
- Making classroom materials through laminating, cutting, photocopying, and typing;
- Assisting with classroom celebrations and Scholastic book orders;
- Reading with small groups; and
- Cooking projects.
Strengthening School Community
Parents are encouraged to participate in school-wide activities such as:
- Celebrations, and social events;
- Parent education events;
- Volunteering to captain an event;
- Participating on subcommittees of the Board of Trustees;
- Assisting the Director or any staff member on short- or long-term projects.